Re: Unicode Cyrillic GHE DE PE TE in Serbian

From: Paul Reinerfelt (
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 13:44:38 EST

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Franko Luin wrote:

> In the trade "italic" and "oblique" have special meanings. "Italic" means a
> special cutting of the typeface, often with different widths and shapes.
> "Oblique" means slanted appearance of the normal one. Adobe's fonts, e.g.,
> are called Garamond and Garamond-Italic, but Helvetica and
> Helvetica-Oblique.
> Not every language has two different words for that. In Swedish, as in
> German, both are "kursiv". There is a possibility to use "kursiv" for italic
> and "kursiverad" for oblique, but it is not in common use.
No, that's not entirely accurate. To the best of my knowledge (and
confirmed by a dictionary on typographic terms) the correct Swedish
usage is that 'kursiv' (and 'kursiverad' for that matter) means italic
while oblique is called 'lutande'. We have the same problem with
word-processing software ignoring this fine but crucial distinction

/Paul Reinerfelt
Student of Computer Science in Lund, Sweden

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:58 EDT