Re: Etruscan LTR (was RE: Japanese RTL (was RE: Mongolian (was RE: Sy

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 12:59:27 EST

on 1/12/00 9:21 AM, Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com at Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
wrote:

> John Jenkins wrote:
>> Etruscan will probably be encoded as LTR letters.
>
> Why isn't Etruscan simply bidi-neutral? Why *all* scripts so far have strong
> directionality?

I'm probably not the best one to respond, as I am not solidly in agreement
with the decision. It's basically so that Unicode implementations that
don't do bidi could still do Etruscan after a fashion, I believe.

Frankly, since the decision isn't locked in yet, you might still get the UTC
to change its mind.

=====
John H. Jenkins
jenkins@apple.com