RE: Language Tagging And Unicode

From: Janko Stamenovic (janko@teletrader.com)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 14:42:33 EST

How do you define "historically the same character" please?

If we find out that they were in pre-computer era printed differently, even
if also then was much easier to use available Russian letter shapes, what
would it mean about "historicaly the same"?

The concept of character as "code point in particular code table" is from
computer era nevertheless. Can you give me some other defintion, for
pre-computer ere?

> And personally, I would like to see a wide range of Serbian printed
> examples from the beginning of the era of Serbian printing to the present,
> showing that the m-shaped TE and the n-shaped PE are not used, not
> recognized, and not desirable in Serbian printing. So far we haven't seen
> anything of the kind. I haven't yet checked my own repertoire of sources,
> but I will do so as well.

If that can help making in any solution (I'm still not saying that any one
is better, I'm still trying to get which would be so *in practice*) I will
really try to organize this!
Unfortunatelly I don't have ready any links with scans of old printed
material.