Re: Unicode 3.0 press statements

From: John Cowan (
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 13:09:12 EST wrote:

> Most Italian dialects are actually written.

Okay, well anyhow in Latin script, and surely representable.

Here are the ones I left out, evidently in error:

SIL generally uses a "mutually unintelligible" definition
of language, so some dialects have been lumped with
Standard Italian because they are reasonably mutually intelligible
with it.

> Not that it is an issue: all Italians also speak the national language,

Is this now fully true?

> - Several dialects have semi-official status in some areas: Ladin, Friulian,
> Venetian, Sardinian;

Ladin/Friulian and Sardinian are generally considered separate languages
altogether, at least by Romance philologists.

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)