RE: Language Tagging And Unicode

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@MICROSOFT.com)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 18:45:33 EST

Feature request #8346. We'll get to it.

But seriously, everything takes time. It is not as simple as you say, but it
is not terribly difficult either. If this was the only thing to do, we'd do
it, but it has to fit in with the other priorities. There are just thousands
of other things to do as well. Since there is an effective workaround (use
another font), the priority is fairly low but not zero. Certainly lower than
supporting a new language IMHO (which can be hard or easy depending on the
language). For example, if I can push for added Cyrillic glyphs in our fonts
in order to support Central Asian languages that use as yet unsupported
Cyrillic characters, I'd do that before pushing for supporting multiple
glyphs in a single font.

Chris Pratley
Group Program Manager
Microsoft Word