Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro (bis)

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2000 - 12:41:58 EST

Alain wrote:

> [Alain] Again with email software in French. I use the latest Eudora Pro
> 4.2 French version (a very fine package with advanced parallel features for
> simultaneously handling multiple email accounts input, output and editing)
> and when I receive a MIME-tagged header indicating Windows-1252 (it happens
> everyday, usually from Outlook as a lot of my correspondents use this very
> fine package too), it does not get decoded. I then say to my correspondents
> to use 8-bit encoding even in headers (turn off QP option), but that does
> not solve the Mac-PC-Unix-EBCDIC communication problem for my language.

If you get caught in a rip current in the sea, the best thing to do is
swim "sideways" (at 90 degrees to the current), instead of swimming into
the current. If you swim into the current, you will get tired, and
drown.

This is not a very good analogy, because it just leaves you out in left
field, and the mainstream will pass you by, ignoring you, and you won't
see it any more...

Erik