Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:04:23 EST

Frank da Cruz wrote:

> It's hard to believe that in the year 2000 we are still talking as though
> we don't understand why the C1 area should not be used for graphic
> characters in data communications protocols. [...]
> That MIME allows one to put any old character set in the content of a
> message or web page is a travesty, and not an excuse to do it.

You seem to make two points: that the number of charsets used for
information interchange should be limited, and that bytes 0x80-0x9F
should be reserved for control functions. I agree with the first.
If the second were to be enforced, interchange in UTF-8 would become
impossible.

--

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || http://www.reutershealth.com Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || http://www.ccil.org/~cowan Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)