Re: 8859-1, 8859-15, 1252 and Euro

From: Erik van der Poel (erik@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 12:07:42 EST

"Robert A. Rosenberg" wrote:

> The real [short term] solution is to have a preference switch that says
> "Treat ISO-8859-1 as Windows-1252" so that the "undefined" (x80-x9F) range
> maps to the Windows-1252 characters.

We sometimes offer preference switches to the user, either in the UI or
in configuration files, but we generally try to keep such prefs to a
minimum. (The UI is complicated enough already.) In the above case, we
didn't think that the user would actually make use of such a pref, so we
didn't introduce it. Instead, we always assume that iso-8859-1 labelled
data is actually windows-1252, because it *is*. The label may be lying,
but the data must be displayed.

> Also users should send some
> "clue-by-four" error messages to web sites that do not show the character
> set as windows-1252 instead of ISO-8859-1 when using this character range
> (ie: Show the CORRECT Character Set). IMO - A BUG REPORT to ADOBE and MS
> for their Web Design products to say that use of these characters should
> FORCE windows-1252 into the HTML is not out of line.

Have you done so? Did they respond?

Erik