Re: DIN 5007, Swiss Sorting

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 13:07:07 EST

Thanks to everyone that provided me with info on German and Swiss
sorting standards and conventions.

With respect to the capitalization debate, it seems to me from the
(limited) information presented, that
a) small vs. large first, is insignificant
b) that it cannot be readily determined from studying past practices.

I say this because, as Michael says, one fronts things
to emphasize them, often what is being emphasized is chronology,
frequency
of usage, or other facets of the strings being ordered, and not
case.

This suggests to me that case is simply unimportant,
since some other trait seems to readily take precedence over case.
(Even though case ordering may ultimately be needed for determinacy.)

It also suggests to me, that looking at sorting of existing documents
may not be useful in resolving the debate, since reviewing the case
ordering
does not disclose whether the document was truly ordered based on case
or some
other facet of the text that simply makes it appear that one or the
other
case is primary.

To that end, I have to question whether a standard should declare
what the trend in case ordering is...

However, I am basicly an onlooker in this discussion and make no
claims of expertise on linguistic requirements. I am just trying
to limit the collations I implement to the fewest that do the most
good for my market and trying to get justification for not implementing
the many whims of each of my users...
To that end, it is easy enough to offer users a choice of upper or lower
case first...

tex

stuff clipped...

--
Progress is a proud sponsor of the 16th International Unicode Conference
March 27-30, 2000 in Amsterdam, Holland

Progress Software Corp.       +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                   +1-781-280-4655 (Fax)
Bedford, MA 01730  USA        texin@bedford.progress.com

http://www.progress.com The #1 Embedded Database http://www.SonicMQ.com JMS Compliant Messaging- Best Middleware Award http://www.aspconnections.com Leading provider in the ASP marketplace

Progress Globalization Program http://www.progress.com/services/partners/globalization/index.htm ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Spanish Proverb: Don't speak unless you can improve on the silence. Tex's Proverb: Don't email unless you can improve on the screen saver.