Re: DIN 5007, Swiss Sorting

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 06:44:52 EST

Am 2000-03-13 um 6:08 h PST hat Markus Kuhn geschrieben:
> Does DIN 5007 come with any rationale for its aA sorting order?

No, it doesn't.

There may well be some rationale given elswhere I am not aware of.

> like any standard without proper rationale, it shall be doomed to remain
> ignored.

Even if no rationale is given, a standard should be adhered to, simply to
make things compatible. I do not think that, e. g., the standards for
bolts and nuts do give any rationale for the particular measurements
chosen. Yet, everybody is well advised to comply with this standard.

Of course, the third-level ordering is less important, as it will seldom
influence the ordering, and in those rare cases when it will indeed do so,
the effect is not large (i. e. the words, or strings, differring only in
case will not be very far apart in the sortet list).

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz