Re: DIN 5007, Swiss Sorting

From: Alain LaBonté  (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 13:33:20 EST

À 03:18 2000-03-14 -0800, Michael Everson a écrit:
>Do you READ my posts, Alain? The full OED does NOT take case ordering into
>account.

[Alain] Of course I do. If the most important English dictionary sorts
quasi homographs using other criteria, it demonstrates per se that there is
no firm tradition about case sorting in English.

That said, as you say, the concise OED systematically sorts upper case
before lowercase. Fine.

And Webster systematically sorts lower case before uppercase. Fine also.

These, from the outside, seem the most important sources of English
dictionaries (one English, the other American). You can judge better than
me, if it is totally wrong.

This, to us, demonstrates that there is no established tradition in English
for case ordering.

Now you may have your preference, and of this I do not discuss. « Tous les
goûts sont dans la nature. »

The International Standard allows both, the delta is easy to declare if
there is one. And delta declaration is even mandatory in all cases to
conform to the I.S.

Alain LaBonté
Québec