Re: Unicode Fonts

From: Gary Bonham (Gary@BonhamDesigns.com)
Date: Thu Mar 30 2000 - 10:34:00 EST

I've been pointed here by several people, and this is great and helps a lot.
However, what I really want is to give folks on our web site some insight
into what a given font supports. We have a graphics engine on our server
which is used in several "banner maker" type sites, including
bannerforge.com and also wizards which are available on a number of sites.
We are now moving into unicode in order to support the asian, and other,
communities where they need banners, etc. We have a long list of fonts,
which grows periodically. We need to somehow flag fonts with come symbols to
indicate what each supports. This utility is great but would require doing
this by hand. I would like a utility that would, for example, skim through
the entire font directory and produce a file which indicates the
capabilities of each font on the machine. This could then be referenced by
our site to add symbols to fonts in our list. Another way would be to call a
utility for a given font and get back an info string that tells what is
supported.

Any ideas?

Gary