Re: Double Byte enabled

From: Suzanne Topping (stopping@rochester.rr.com)
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 20:53:41 EDT

Thanks for this response Murray. It pointed out why I was uncomfortable with
the term, but was not directly thinking about; the differences in processing
DBCS versus Unicode characters.

A lot of people think that Unicode -IS- a DBCS, so I didn't really want to
leave it the way it was.

I wonder if "multibyte enabled" has the same connotations of processing
differences? A few people have suggested this as an acceptable option, but
now I'm trying to think back about whether there are processing methods for
MBCS that are similar to the old DBCS methods?

"Unicode enabled" is probably the clearest term, but I would appreciate
comments on historic use of "multibyte enabled".