RE: Digits in character names (was: Re: character names (question s))

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 05:30:11 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> [...]
> 3. Digits representing the dot positions occur in the Braille pattern
> characters:
> [...]
> And I think it is only a matter of time until
> WG2 also accepts the convention of using numeric catalog
> values for the
> character entities of some historic scripts, where those catalog
> values would be more useful to the users of the standard than some
> arbitrarily concocted alpha-only names that avoid the use of digits
> in the name.

Similarly, it would perhaps have been wiser to use numbers 1 ... 214 for the
Kangxi radicals: many people knows these numbers by heart (especially the
commonest radicals). On the other hand, the descriptions that have been used
in the English character names are highly subjective choices.

I know this comes too late for English but, as we are talking about
translations, this is my hint for lazy translators.

_ Marco