Re: Digits in character names

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 05:13:12 EDT

Ar 18:04 -0700 2000-04-06, scríobh Kenneth Whistler:

>And one more usage in the character names accepted in ISO/IEC 10646-2:
>
>4. In the Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols, for math styled digits:
>
> U-0001D7CF MATHEMATICAL BOLD DIGIT 1, etc., etc.

Oh dear. These aren't allowed. They have to be ZERO, ONE, TWO, etc.

>The latter three cases have broken the "only to represent their shapes"
>exception wide open. And I think it is only a matter of time until
>WG2 also accepts the convention of using numeric catalog values for the
>character entities of some historic scripts, where those catalog
>values would be more useful to the users of the standard than some
>arbitrarily concocted alpha-only names that avoid the use of digits
>in the name.

I (devoted member of WG2) defy WG2 to come up with better names for
Egyptian than the catalogue names Egyptologists use. EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH
A248A is far superior to EGYPTIAN HIEROGLYPH SKIRTED MAN HOLDING JACKAL
ALOFT BY THE THROAT.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169