RE: Combing jamos rendering (was RE: IDS rendering and IDS analys is

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 10:18:36 EDT

I said:
> However, the possible combinations of Hangul jamos
> (U+1100..U+11FF) is a closed set [...]
> The set is in fact encoded in Unicode as
> pre-composed characters [...]

Sorry: this was my blunder, of course.

In fact, Jungshik Shin corrected me:
> As for modern syllables encoded in UAC00, you're probablely right.
> However, you're missing the fact that only precomposed
> Hangul syllables encoded in UAC00 block are modern *complete*
> syllables [...]

I was supposed to know this, but the neural nodes where I stored this info
have probably been burned by age, nicotine, or some other factor :-)

> BTW, Korean standard body made
> a big mistake(???) of not including precomposed *incomplete*
> syllables of 1.1k in modern use. [...]

Here I am possibly missing the point, or maybe not.

Do you mean the fact that each jamo can also have a "full" glyph (occupying
the whole character cell) to render its "nominal" shape when it is not in
combination? (I.e., in an ill-formed Korean text or, temporarily, while
editing).

If this is what you mean, then I must correct my counts adding one spacing
glyph ("standalone shape") for each jamo. The revised count of contextual
glyphs would then be:

        85 * 2 + 67 * 3 + 91 * 7 = 1008
      T V L

Or, sticking to modern Hangul: