Re: Transliteration of Arabic characters into English

From: brendan_murray@lotus.com
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 11:55:24 EDT

Vladas Tumasonis <vladas.tumasonis@maf.vu.lt> wrote:
> Really we have problem for adding Lithuanian
> Accented Letters to Unicode. See
> http://www.mif.vu.lt/tk4/lithacc/

I stand corrected: I was not aware of the extended Lithuanian characters -
I only knew what this document refers to as the "main alphabet". One thing
is unclear from these documents: are the characters of the extended
alphabet used as part of the Lithuanian language, or are they used to
indicate pronounciation?

I tried some of the combining characters from the list in Notes, and they
displayed OK, although my font is rather ugly. I think the main issue with
these characters and, in fact, with all combining characters, is the input
method. It's easy enough to input them into a ducment using charmap, but
what's really needed is some input method that's easy to use. Of course one
needs a font that'll process the data correctly, but it's probably easier
to find that than to find some acceptable input method.

B=