Problem with 3.0 Hangul Syllable Composition algorithm

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 07:39:10 EDT

Step 1 of the Hangul Syllable Composition algorithm on page 54 of
the Unicode Standard 3.0 doesn't do anything. It reads:

# 1. Process D [the decomposed form] by composing the conjoining
# jamo wherever possible, according to the compatibility decomposition
# rules in Chapter 14, Code Charts.

However, there are no such compatibility decompositions, and haven't
been since at least 2.1.9! I suggest replacing this step by something
like the following:

1. Process D by composing certain sequences of conjoining jamo
   into single jamo, according to the following special table.
   The sequences given here represent neither canonical nor
   compatibility decompositions, and exist solely for the purposes
   of this algorithm.

   Typical interchange of conjoining jamo may not require this step,
   but composing raw keyboard data may.

                Sequence Single jamo

                1100 1100 1101
                1103 1103 1104
                1107 1107 1108
                1109 1109 110A
                110C 110C 110D
                1161 1175 1162
                1163 1175 1164
                1165 1175 1166
                1167 1175 1168
                1169 1161 116A
                1169 1161 1175 116B
                1169 1175 116C
                116E 1165 116F
                116E 1165 1175 1170
                116E 1175 1171
                1173 1175 1174
                11A8 11A8 11A9
                11A8 11BA 11AA
                11AB 11BD 11AC
                11AB 11C2 11AD
                11AF 11A8 11B0
                11AF 11B7 11B1
                11AF 11B8 11B2
                11AF 11BA 11B3
                11AF 11C0 11B4
                11AF 11C1 11B5
                11AF 11C2 11B6
                11B8 11BA 11B9
                11BA 11BA 11BB

       I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin