Re: Problem with 3.0 Hangul Syllable Composition algorithm

From: Mark Davis (markdavis@ispchannel.com)
Date: Mon May 15 2000 - 12:37:15 EDT

That's incorrect. NFKC ONLY merges canonical equivalents, NOT compatibility equivalents. In fixing the issue with Hangul we could have either elevated the Jamo compatibility decompositions to be canonical, or removed them. We chose to remove them, for a variety of reasons.

As you say, this doesn't matter any more, since the algorithm and the decompositions of existing characters are frozen in stone as of Unicode 3.0. However, your original point is good. We need to change the text of Step #1 in a corrigendum, since as it stands it is a NOP.

Mark