Re: COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue May 16 2000 - 15:02:56 EDT

Michael Everson summarized:

> The upshot is this:
>
> 1. Proponants of the new character have been asked to show it in actual
> widespread use.

I agree that there is a need for this. In my original response to the
proposal for a COPYLEFT SIGN, I indicated that the key issue was whether
there was evidence of significant usage as a character in documents
using more or less standard typographical conventions. (E.g. printed
license agreements.) This would distinguish it from a mere logo.

> 2. Proponants of the new character have been advised that the name they
> propose is not appropriate given UCS naming conventions.

I consider this to be mostly bologna. One person, who is a member
of the Irish standards body, has so advised the list, but his opinion
seems to be shared by few. I see no problem whatsoever with the
proposed name -- it seems to follow UCS naming conventions just fine.

--Ken