COPYLEFT SIGN

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Sun May 14 2000 - 07:14:45 EDT

Well as someone interested in character names, I object to the name
proposed. The "right" in "copyright" refers to privilege and permission,
not to directionality. Consequently its reversal in the term "copyleft" is
inappropriate. I suppose its devisers thought it "cute" in English, though
it is not; COPYWRONG SIGN would be . Further, it causes translation
problems: "copyleft" cannot be translated correctly without knowledge of
this. In Irish, we say "cóipcheart" where "ceart" means privilege and
permission. We do not have a directional "*cóipdheas" and therefore a term
like "*cóipchlé" would certainly not occur to a translator.

REVERSED COPYRIGHT SIGN would be an acceptable name.

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169