Re: Accents in Greek and in Greek Extended

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed May 17 2000 - 14:30:09 EDT

At 10:04 AM 5/17/00 -0800, RWhizz12@aol.com wrote:

>The tonos is a straight vertical, typewriter-style, apostophe-like
>accent—which is (&—forever—should be) distinct from other similar
acctents
>(like the acute [right-slanted] & grave [left-slanted]).

When I am designing Greek types, I have my work reviewed by Gerry Leonidas
at the typography department of the University of Reading in England.
Gerry's specifications for the tonos are quite explicit: it should never be
entirely veritical, but should slant slightly to the right, although not as
far as the Latin acute in many fonts.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks
Vancouver, BC