Re: Info required on GSM 03.38 (SMS charset)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 02:01:39 EDT

Markus Kuhn <Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> A chart of the 7-bit GSM SMS character set defined in GSM 03.38 in
> section 6.2.1 is also on
>
> http://www.nobbi.com/images/gsm338.png

Assuming that all the Greek letters in the 0x1_ column are really Greek
and not compatibility characters, my only question is what to do with
0x1B. Is that Escape?

This is what I think of as a "semi-ASCII" code, sort of like ATASCII,
PETSCII, and other personal computer codes from the late '70s and early
'80s, which left the alphanumeric portions of ASCII untouched but
reassigned some of the lesser-used characters like [ \ ] ^ ` { | } ~
and also assigned some code points below 0x20.

I wonder why N-tilde and E-acute, but no other vowels with acute, are
assigned in the GSM code. These characters are necessary for Spanish.
There must have been some intent to support Spanish; otherwise the
inverted question mark and inverted exclamation point would not have
been encoded.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California