Re: Chapter on character sets

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 12:16:31 EDT

At 05:01 AM 06/15/2000 -0800, brendan_murray@lotus.com wrote:
> - The C1 range wasn't empty: Microsoft simply took advantage of the fact
> that this range isn't needed on PC's, and filled it with graphic
> characters in the Windows codepages.

Apple (or rather the MUA/WEB Publishers for Apple Programs) did the same
for the
MacRoman<->ISO-8859-1 translations. Unfortunately the codes that are in the
Windows C1 range and MacRoman (the Macintosh native mapping for x80-xFF) do
not have the same "ISO-8859-1" mappings so unless Windows usage of this
range is marked as CP1252 (in lieu of the inaccurate ISO-8859-1) there will
be display problems when transferring content containing glyphs in the C1
range between the two platforms. Of course this is due to the "Head in the
Sand" behavior of the ISO Ivory Town types in refusing to issue standards
which put usable Glyphs in the C1 range instead of the useless control
codes. Note: I am not saying that ISO-8859-1 should not have the junk there
but only that there should be a parallel set of Standards to ISO-8859-x
with the Glyphs there.