How to distinguish UTF-8 from Latin-* ?

From: Vinod Balakrishnan (vinod@filemaker.com)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 17:19:48 EDT

Hi,

How can we distinguish the UTF-8 characters sequence from a
Latin-1/Latin-? characters. In case of most of the internet application
UTF16 characters are prefixed by "0xu" and for the UTF8 characters there
is no prefix to identify those. Do we HAVE/NEED a standard to represent
UTF8 ?

For example, if the browser send out a http GET request for a non-Roman
characters with out the header information, the server application will
not be able to identify the characters whether they are UTF8 or Latin-1.

-Vinod

vinod@filemaker.com