Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313)

From: Gary Roberts (gar@sparc.sandiegoca.ncr.com)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 13:48:26 EDT

Yes. The name for the language that English speakers might correctly
consider to be English with a Scottish accent is known as English. English
is widely spoken in Scottland, often with a BBC accent (the 'standard'
accent of the English, as much as there is a standard), often without. I
suspect many people speak a creole of Scots and English. The purer form is
known as broad Scots.
                                * (University of Edinburgh alumnus)