Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313)

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 10:22:03 EDT

Arsa Séamas Ó Brógáin:

> Marco Cimarosti wrote:
>
> ... the Irish Gaelic version of "REPUBLIC OF ITALY" has a
> lowercase "h" although it is all capitals.
>
> The name of this language is "Irish"; there is no such thing as "Irish Gaelic".

Of course there is. It is fine use the name "Irish" colloquially, amongst
ourselves, nationally, but in international discussions,where one must distinguish
between Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic and Manx Gaelic, remember each one of the
sister languages has the exact same right to the designation "Gaelic".

> I haven't seen the document you refer to, but I presume the term used is
> "POBLACHT NA hIODÁILE". The <h> there is a prefix letter, representing the
> way in which Irish avoids a hiatus between two vowels (rather like the way

That <h>is not just a matter of phonology! It is a _strict _ grammatical rule,
embedded in standard Modern Irish orthography. Think. How would you write, in our
language, the following sentence: "I got that book from Ó Brógáin"? I am certain
that you would never prefix <h> between "ó" and "O" in such circumstances, a Uí
Bhrógáin, a chara!:-)
mg

> English uses <n>, as in "an apple"); it is always lower-case, to reveal the
> fact that the <I> is the real initial letter of the name.
>
> Best wishes.
>
> Séamas Ó Brógáin

> SEIRBHÍSÍ LEABHAR 15 Céide na Coirre Báine
> Seanchill
> Co. Bhaile Átha Cliath +353 1 2721181
> Éirinn/Ireland leabhair@iol.ie
> http://www.iol.ie/~leabhair