Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313)

From: Michael Everson (everson@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Jun 20 2000 - 06:17:35 EDT

Ar 14:33 -0800 2000-06-19, scríobh Gary Roberts:
>The name for the language that English speakers might mistakenly consider
>to be English with a scottish accent is known as Scots. Speakers of Scots
>believe that the proper English name for their language is Scots. English
>speakers who don't speak Scots believe that the proper English name for
>the Scots tongue is English. The term 'Scottish' is not used, I suspect
>because it is ambiguous.

In Scotland, standard English is spoken by a great many people, with a
Scottish accent, more or less strong and impenetrable depending on lots of
factors. There is also another language, closely related to standard
English but is derived from the Anglian dialect of Old English, is called
Scots. It is also called Lallans (< Lowlands).

Michael Everson ** Everson Gunn Teoranta ** http://www.egt.ie
Vox +353 1 478 2597 ** Fax +353 1 478 2597 ** Mob +353 86 807 9169