Re: Linguistic precedence [was: (TC304.2313)

From: Mark Leisher (mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 16 2000 - 12:51:27 EDT

    Séamas> In case anyone is (further) confused by this thread, I can only
    Séamas> reaffirm that the normal name of our language in English, as every
    Séamas> Irish person will confirm, is "Irish". (Interestingly, in
    Séamas> Michael's previous response, which arrived before mine, he writes,
    Séamas> "the rule in Irish is ..." which shows his spontaneous, as
    Séamas> distinct from contrived, usage.)

    Séamas> It is a mystery to me why Michael and his partner promote this
    Séamas> hybrid term, which is both baffling and offensive to those Irish
    Séamas> people who are aware of it.

So, to be culturally sensitive, we should be using "Irish" and "Scottish" as
opposed to "Irish Gaelic" and "Scottish Gaelic?" What about the English? Do
we still use "Irish English" and "Scottish English?"
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab Not every problem someone has with his
New Mexico State University girlfriend is necessarily due to the
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL capitalist mode of production.
Las Cruces, NM 88003 -- Herbert Marcuse