Re: Java, SQL, Unicode and Databases

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 19:48:22 EDT

Jianping responded:

> Tex,
>
> Oracle doesn't have special requirement for datatype in JDBC driver if you use UTF8 as database
> character set. In this case, all the text datatype in JDBC will support Unicode data.

The same thing is, of course, true for Sybase databases using UTF-8
at the database character set, accessing them through a JDBC driver.

But I think Tex's question is aimed at the much murkier area
of what the various database vendors' strategies are for dealing
with UTF-16 Unicode as a datatype. In that area, the answers for
what a cross-platform application vendor needs to do and for how
JDBC drivers might abstract differences in database implementations
are still unclear.

--Ken