Java, SQL, Unicode and Databases

From: Tex Texin (texin@progress.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 16:22:30 EDT

I want to write an application in Java that will store information
in a database using Unicode. Ideally the application will run
with any database that supports Unicode. One would presume that the
JDBC driver would take care of any differences between databases
so my application could be independent of database.
(OK, I know it is a naive view.)

However, I am hearing that databases from different vendors require
use of different datatypes or limit you to using certain datatypes
if you want to store Unicode. Changing datatypes would I presume make
a significant different in my programming of the application...

So, I want to make a list of the changes I need to make to
my Java, SQL application in the event I want to
support each of the major databases (Oracle 8I, MS SQL Server 7,
etc.) with respect to Unicode data storage.

(I am sure there are other differences programming to different
databases, independent of Unicode data, but those issues are
understood.)

So, if you can help me by identifying specific changes you would make
to query or update a major vendor's database with respect to Unicode
support, I would be very appreciative. If I get a good list, I'll
post it back here. I am most interested in Oracle and MS SQL Server,
but will collect info on any database.

As an example, I am hearing that some databases would require varchar,
others nchar, for Unicode data.

tex

Tex Texin                     Director, International Products

Progress Software Corp.       +1-781-280-4271
14 Oak Park                   +1-781-280-4655 (Fax)
Bedford, MA 01730  USA        texin@bedford.progress.com

http://www.progress.com The #1 Embedded Database http://www.SonicMQ.com JMS Compliant Messaging- Best Middleware Award http://www.aspconnections.com Leading provider in the ASP marketplace

Progress Globalization Program (New URL) http://www.progress.com/partners/globalization.htm ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Come to the Panel on Open Source Approaches to Unicode Libraries at the Sept. Unicode Conference http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc17