Re: Java, SQL, Unicode and Databases

From: Joe_Ross@tivoli.com
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 17:13:43 EDT

Yes, version 7. It requires us to use a different data type (nchar) if we want
to store multilingual text as UTF-16. We want our applications to be database
vendor independent so that customers can use any database under the covers. If
all databases supported UTF-8 as an encoding for char, we could support
multilingual data in the same way for all vendors. As it is, we have to use a
different schema for MS SQL server than we do for the others.
Joe

"Tex Texin" <texin@progress.com> on 06/23/2000 11:50:06 AM