Re: C # character model

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Jun 28 2000 - 07:14:09 EDT

Torsten Mohrin wrote:

> Antoine Leca <Antoine.Leca@renault.fr> wrote:
>
> [...]
> >
> >Ah, that may be a problem (what is the ToUpper return value of ß?)
>
> I don't know the mentioned API, but it could return 0x00DF or (to
> indicate it as an error) 0xFFFF. I don't see a problem.

The problem is that the "correct" answer is a two letter string, "SS".

More generally, character manipulation API done on single 16-bit
values tends to have a number of problems, not very problematic
when we deal with Latin-based West European languages, but that
are going gore when considered in a more wide context (example:
what is the width of character U+064A Arabic yeh? if the context
is not indicated in some way, the answer is probably wrong...)

Antoine