Re: Mixing languages on a Web site

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 15:47:06 EDT

On 06/30/2000 08:25:47 AM <michka@trigeminal.com> wrote:

>... a few are missing (Ethiopic, for example).
>But its got most of them (and I would love to fill in the blanks if there
is
>anyone who has sources for the missing languages!).

Just a few? Most of them? Not by a long shot! (Cf.
http://www.sil.org/ethnologue/) I regret, though, that I can't easily offer
you text for any of the other 6,700 languages (probably only 1/3 of which
are written).

"Ethiopic" is not the name of a language, by the way. Or were you counting
scripts rather than languages?

I'm inclined to think that counting country-specific varieties as separate
languages is artificially stretching things. I really doubt that someone
from Guatemala could complain of someone from Argentina, "¿Por qué no puede
simplemente hablar Español de Guatemala?" Do Australians, Canadians, Brits,
etc.; or Germans, Austrians, etc. make similar complaints of one another?

A fun page, nonetheless!

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>