RE: Planes 1 and 2

From: Mike Brown (mbrown@corp.webb.net)
Date: Wed Jul 05 2000 - 16:04:57 EDT

Brendan Murray wrote:
> In short, you can't. However, you can find a roadmap at
> http://www.egt.ie/standards/iso10646/ucs-roadmap.html
> [...] This is, of course, not final and should in no way be
> construed as being definitive.

Likewise, ISO/JTC1/SC2 document 3442, a final committee draft version of
ISO/IEC 10646-2, is also not yet a standard and should in no way be
construed as being definitive. If you're just looking for an idea of what's
probably going to be in the planes, though, it might be of some use to you,
and it is available for inspection at
http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/open/02n3442list.htm

Regarding this document (3442, and its predecessor, 3393), did anyone audit
the page number continuity and verify the page count as listed on the title
page? Neither looks quite right to me.

I'm also not sure I understand the reasoning behind which drafts in the
JTC1/SC2 and JTC1/SC2/WG3 document registers are public and which aren't.
For example, the JTC1/SC2 register lists final drafts of 8859-1, 2, 3, 4, 5,
6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 16. A non-final draft of 8859-12 is also
listed. Of those, only 8859-7, 11 and 16 are available for public
inspection. The others, except for 8859-12, are only available to committee
members. And in the JTC1/SC2/WG3 register, final drafts of 8859-1, 4, 7, 10,
11, 13, and 15 are listed and available for download, while the others
aren't listed at all.

   - Mike
Mike J. Brown, software engineer at My XML/XSL resources:
webb.net in Denver, Colorado, USA http://www.skew.org/xml/