Re: Bug in TR 19, and fancy HTML in TR's

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 12:48:19 EDT

> FYI, I am using Windows 95 (revision B), Netscape Navigator 4.06, and
> printing to an HP LaserJet 4M Plus.

<snip>

> Can the authors (or reformatters) of Unicode Technical Reports please
> keep the use of "fancy" HTML and Javascript in TR's to a minimum?
> Tables and simple stylesheets ought to be sufficient. This is not an
> elaborate sales or marketing presentation, after all -- it's a TECHNICAL
> REPORT. Please don't tell me to update or change my browser to get the
> "full experience" of the TR. I should be able to print the thing on
> dead trees and get all the information that way if I choose.

Well, some people might actually prefer you upgrade your browser to
something that supports Unicode a bit more effectively, at the very least.
:-)

NN 4.0x has tons of problems with bidi and other complex scripts, with Asian
characters, and more. Its not entirely unreasonable for the online resources
of the Unicode Consortium to make use of technologies that support Unicode
and not be obliged to test everything on older browsers that do not. I think
its likely that they did not even know that such an issue would exist, since
they have upgraded to browsers and technologies that support the very
standard they are writing for.

As a side note, I do not test code on my Osborne 1 or my Epson PX-8, either.
:-)

Just my 2 cents.

michka