Re: Han character names?

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 03:15:20 EDT

At 2:52 PM -0800 7/10/00, 11digitboy@bolt.com wrote:
>Do the Han characters have names, such as <HAN DIGIT
>TWO> or <HAN CHARACTER WOMAN> or <HAN CHARACTER ELECTRICITY>?
>So would my tattoo be <HAN CHARACTER MYRIAD><HAN
>CHARACTER WALK>?

No. See _The Unicode Standard, Version 3.0_, p. 335.

Coming up with names based on meaning was clearly impractical. Some
ideographs have no known (or simple) definition, some have multiple,
and there's a lot of duplication. Not to mention the amount of work
needed to come up with some 28,000 unique English names and vet them.

Coming up with names based on pronunciation was also impractical.
Which language would you use? Whichever one you pick, some ideographs
have multiple pronunciations, and a lot have no pronunciation.

Giving the ideographs names based on their code point was the only
practical solution.

--
=====
John H. Jenkins