Re: What is this "case folding"?

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 14:10:49 EDT

At 08:27 PM 07/10/2000 -0800, Mark Davis wrote:

>While an interesting trivia question, there are enough homographs in
>English that the very small percentage of them that can (sometimes) be
>distinguished according to case is completely insignificant.

I first ran into the Polish/polish pair in a book of short mystery stories
that each turned on trivia of this type. In this case it was on the order
of "What string of letters represent a word whose pronunciation is
undefined if printed in all capital letters". Since the pronunciation of
the string is dependent on if the "p" is a Capital Letter or not this
differs from words that have more than one pronunciation even when are
spelled and cased the same.