Re: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 05:18:12 EDT

[utf-8 encoded]

> -----Original Message-----
> From: michael.w.martin1@kodak.com [mailto:michael.w.martin1@kodak.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 7:02 AM
> To: info@unicode.org
> Cc: 487655N@knotes.kodak.com
> Subject: Language Support
>
> To Whom It May Concern:

I am no concerned, but I shall try to help you.

> I am writing embedded software to control a print head. The software must
> support the following languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian,
> Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish. It is my understanding that all of
> these languages except Japanese can be supported with the basic Latin and
> Latin Supplement subset of Unicode (U+0000 ... U+00FF [traditional ASCII]).
> Is this correct?

Traditional ASCII ends in U+007F (or even U+007E, but I disregard this).
I think you know accentuated characters are considered "good habits" by
Continental Europeans, so I assume you meant "traditional Latin-1" instead.

At least for French, you may need to add U+0152/U+0153, i.e. the "ligature"
digraph oe, which you may encounter in common terms such as cœur, œeil, bœuf,
(heart, eye, beef), etc.

Also, using the correct presentation form for the English, French, (Italian?)
apostrophe (i.e. U+2018) would be prefered over the "straight" one; likewise
(I do not know if it matters to you), German and English (and others) use
special (and different) pairs of quotation marks that also are in the U+20xx
area.

As a general rule, using the set of characters in the Adobe Roman character
set (check MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/roman.txt) or the Windows 1252 character
set (check MAPPINGS/VENDORS/MICSFT/WINDOWS/cp1252.txt) are good start points.

Antoine