Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: Magda Danish (Unicode) (
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 15:13:35 EDT

-----Original Message-----
From: []
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 7:02 AM
Subject: Language Support

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing embedded software to control a print head. The software must
support the following languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Portuguese, and Spanish. It is my understanding that all of
these languages except Japanese can be supported with the basic Latin and
Latin Supplement subset of Unicode (U+0000 ... U+00FF [traditional ASCII]).
Is this correct?

The Japanese I must support is the Kanji form. What subset of Unicode is
used to represent this? I cannot support Unicode in its entirety due to
memory constraints.

Thanks for your help!

Mike Martin
Document Imaging