Re: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: foster.feng@ni.com
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 14:44:25 EDT

1. Not the extended kanji. It is the basic kanji (or standard kanji as defined
in JIS X 0208-1990) is a MUST. Even Japanese Window 95 can only display the
basic kanji, not the extended kanji.

2. Both hiragana and katakana are nothing but symbols of pronouciation of
Japanese. Hiragana the cursive and katakana the print style. Every hiragana has
its equivalent katakana, and its equivalent Roman character. An all katakana
document is not much better than an all Roman character document.

The problem with all kana (or all Roman ch) document is because there are so
many words with same pronounciations. For example, the Roman Characters "KAMI"
may mean God, or hair, or paper, or above. "HASHI" may mean bridge or chop
sticks. If it is written in kanji, all God, hair, paper, above, bridge, chop
sticks are represented in different kanjis, thus no ambiguity.

Whether its practical or not to have an all kana display depends on your
application. As Kevin Bracey said, things as shop tills, and minidisc players
displaying track names may be OK, since the contents are focused.

Foster

Antoine Leca <Antoine.Leca@renault.fr> on 2000/07/13 10:43:45