Re: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: Robert A. Rosenberg (bob.rosenberg@digitscorp.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 14:33:06 EDT

At 04:41 AM 07/12/2000 -0800, Otto Stolz wrote:
>If I am not mistaken, Kanji is ideographic characters, which would take
>the lion's share of memory to implement. Probably, you have to support
>kana (hiragana or katakana).
>
>I do not know Japanese, so others may jump in.

In case of major memory constraint, go for Romanjii [sp?] (which is
Japanese written in Latin Letters and which the name of the writing systems
are examples <g>). That is what we often see Japanese written as here in
the US. It is the text converted phonetically and needs some accents but
nothing more. For another example with accents, check out the name of the
popular children's show "Pocket Monsters" AKA Pokémon.