Re: Han character names?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 15:05:40 EDT

At 12:56 PM 7/11/00 +0000, John@nisus.com wrote:

> > If you bought a copy of the book, you would have known.
>
>I saw 2.0 in the Barnes & Noble book store the other evening,
>but they only had one left and it was a struggle to get to it through
>the competing crowd... Of course, they were competing to reach
>the latest Harry Potter... and I did flip through 2.0. It was mostly
>useless, a picture book with uninteresting pictures.

Thanks for the endorsement, John. But... 2.0 is pretty out of date. B&N is
apparently more devoted to stocking the most recent Harry Potters than to
stocking the most recent Unicode Standards. Wonder whethere there's a
message there.

>Now, if there were an on-line version that could be searched
>and had accompanying fonts close at hand instead of those
>aggravating PICTS/GIFs/JPEGs scattered about, then it'd
>be useful.

If you have access to Win2K, you might try the Unibook character browser on
http://www.unicode.org/unibook

It also works with Win9x and NT4.0. In either case, the trick is to make
sure the large Asian fonts and Arial Unicode MS are installed. On systems
prior to Win2K you can get them via the Office 2000 or IE5 language packs
etc. as described in many earlier postings on this list.

A./