Re: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: John Cowan (
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 14:24:11 EDT wrote:

> The problem with all kana (or all Roman ch) document is because there are so
> many words with same pronounciations. For example, the Roman Characters "KAMI"
> may mean God, or hair, or paper, or above. "HASHI" may mean bridge or chop
> sticks. If it is written in kanji, all God, hair, paper, above, bridge, chop
> sticks are represented in different kanjis, thus no ambiguity.

Which is to say, that if a typical Japanese document is read aloud, it is
a mass of ambiguity, and nobody has any idea what it says? I know this was
true for Classical Chinese documents, but is it really true for modern
Japanese ones?

If not, then an all-romaji or all-kana representation cannot be *logically*
insufficient; however, it is enough that people are not accustomed to it.

Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! || John Cowan <> Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau, || Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau, || Und trank die Milch vom Paradies. -- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)