Re: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?

From: Kevin Bracey (kevin.bracey@pace.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 10:46:49 EDT

In message <200007131414.GAA18480@unicode.org>
          Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de> wrote:

> Am 2000-07-13 um 13:28 h UCT hat Kevin Bracey geschrieben:
> > It is acceptable for a limited-capability device to display Japanese just
> > using katakana characters (under 64 8x16 glyphs).
> > Anything more advanced than that [...] will display the basic Kanji set
>
> and Hiragana, I suppose?
>
> I understand the the wording in TUS 3.0, sections 10.2 and 10.3 (pages 272
> and 274) to the effect that Hiragana is required together with Kanji to
> write Japanese (and that Katakana is used in normal text only for foreign
> words or visual emphasis). So, I guess, a limited-capability device can
> support Katakana only, and an advanced one has to support Kanji + Hiragana
> + Katakana.
>
> Is that correct?

Quite right. The standard Japanese repertoire (as originally defined in JIS X
0208) contains 6355 kanji, 83 hiragana, 86 katakana and a couple of hundred
other symbols. You'd use that in addition to the basic latin + halfwidth
katakana set defined in JIS X 0201.

In summary:

   Level Repertoires Glyphs
   Useless Basic Latin only 95
   Limited Basic Latin + halfwidth katakana 158
   Standard Basic Latin, halfwidth katakana + JIS X 0208 7037
   Above average Basic Latin, halfwidth katakana, JIS X 0208+0212 13104

Our Japanese systems (internet access terminals) use a Japanese font with the
"standard" repertoire (with the addition of the all-important (C) and TM
characters :) ).

Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road                            Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: http://www.acorn.co.uk/