Re: Subject lines in UTF-8 mssgs? [was:

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 11:36:23 EDT

> I forced the encoding to UTF-8 (it is supposed to be the
> default in my setting, but most of my messages arrive as
> charset="windows-1252"), and I am using some Chinese
> characters that are certainly not in my system's default
> code page:
>
> 你好、雅朴。
> _馬可。

Note that this may not necessarily forced UTF-8, since OE supports encodings
for Chinese characters that you could also use to send the message.

UTF-8 *is* required for languages that do not support such an encoding, like
Tamil.

<showing_off>
உலகம் பேச நினைக்கும் போது Unicode பேசுகிறது
</showing_off>

On the whole, I would not recommend sending mail using those other
encodings, I believe that people using OE 5.0 and later will be prompted to
install language support just by opening the e-mail! :-)

michka

(the sentence is right, by the way <g>).