Re: Euro character in ISO

From: Antoine Leca (Antoine.Leca@renault.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 13 2000 - 11:17:24 EDT

Robert Rosenberg wrote:

> At 04:49 AM 07/12/2000 -0800, Antoine Leca wrote:
> > > The problem would go away if the ISO would get their heads out of
> > > their a$$ and drop the C1 junk from the NEW 'TOUCHED UP" 8859s and
> > > put the CP125x codes there.
> >

> >Sorry. It may work for CP1252/iso-8859-1, and CP1254/iso-8859-9,
> >but won't for the others.
>
> Note - I am not SAYING to use the CP-125x glyphs in my suggested C1-less
> 8859s - only that doing so will make life much easier.

A point I missed to understand clearly. Thanks for the explanation.

> > Since Windows starts with the same letter as
> >Word --or is the reason that they both come from the same company.
> >No! I cannot believe that-- there are a couple of requirements
> >that makes effectively the "other" codepages slighty incompatible,
> >such as the necessary presence for · at position B5 (because this
> >is the character Word uses when you ask it to "display" the spaces,
> >and this is hard-coded in the product).
>
> Last time I looked, B5 was not in the x80-x9F C1 range where CP125x differs
> from ISO-8859-x. Thus this is a non-issue.

Sorry for the mistake, it is B7 instead.

I failed to explain it correctly.

B5 is in 8859-1 (for support of Catalan, if no other reason), but is not
part of 8859-2, -5 or -7. However, since Word need this glyph at this
position, the Windows CP corresponding are quite different from the
relevant iso-8859-x encodings, because the "layout characters" used in
iso-8859-1 and CP1252 are also mapped to the same positions in CP1250,
1251 and 1253 (for compatibility with Word); which means that the
corresponding characters are deplaced toward places in the 80-9F area,
and (that's the nasty part) the sympathic correspondance and "upward
compatibility" that exists between iso-8859-1 and CP1252, does not exist
any more with CP1250, 1251 and 1253.

That was my point.

Antoine