(off-topic) Kana-only tills!? (was RE: Subset of Unicode to repre sent Japanese Kanji?)

From: Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 06:57:00 EDT

foster.feng@ni.com wrote:
> Whether its practical or not to have an all kana display
> depends on your
> application. As Kevin Bracey said, things as shop tills, and
> minidisc players
> displaying track names may be OK, since the contents are focused.

Horror! Abomination! Heresy! ;-)

I don't care for mididisc players but, hey, software for *shop tills* needs
full-fledged i18n. And the Japanese version must support all the kanjis that
might be needed in the description of articles, discounts, forms of payment,
etc., and in the names and addresses of shops and customers.

Ciao.
Marco Cimarosti (ICL-Fujitsu, *Retail* Systems division)