Re: (off-topic) Kana-only tills!? (was RE: Subset of Unicode to repre

From: Kevin Bracey (kevin.bracey@pace.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 07:25:17 EDT

In message <200007141057.CAA26564@unicode.org>
          Marco.Cimarosti@icl.com wrote:

> Horror! Abomination! Heresy! ;-)
>
> I don't care for mididisc players but, hey, software for *shop tills* needs
> full-fledged i18n. And the Japanese version must support all the kanjis
> that might be needed in the description of articles, discounts, forms of
> payment, etc., and in the names and addresses of shops and customers.
>
> Ciao.
> Marco Cimarosti (ICL-Fujitsu, *Retail* Systems division)

Obviously one of your competitor's products I saw then :) Seriously though,
you're right - a modern till is often a DOS box or something with a full CRT,
so can be expected to handle kanji. 5 or 10 years ago it would have been
a different question.

Pace Micro Technology plc                     Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518566
645 Newmarket Road                            Fax: +44 (0) 1223 518526
Cambridge, CB5 8PB, United Kingdom            WWW: http://www.acorn.co.uk/