OT: English speakers' typo (was: Subset of Unicode to represent Japanese Kanji?)

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Mon Jul 17 2000 - 12:08:01 EDT

Am 2000-07-14 um 18:58 h UCT hat Kenneth Whistler geschrieben:
> Thus no one is going to confuse the verb ending -te with the noun te meaning
> "hand", any more than English speakers mix up "to", "too", and "two" or
> "their" and "there" when they hear them used in context.

This reminds me to an observation that has puzzled me for years:
I have often seen native "that" written in place of "than".

The T, and N, keys are so far apart that this cannot be a simple
slip of fingers. So the question is: how can these two words be
confused? Is there a dialect where these sound similar? And how
comes that I never have seen "than" in place of "that"?

Thank you for any enlightment,
best wishes,
   Otto Stolz

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:21:05 EDT